Key Announcements From VMworld
By Kevin Vogl
Another VMworld has come and gone. Some really important announcements, as well as enhancements to existing products were the highlight of the event. VMware is trying not to be a casualty of the public cloud by offering the ability to expand into the hybrid cloud market with offerings from AWS and other cloud vendors. But more importantly, acquiring tools and management products to help companies optimize and manage multiple platforms is the direction that companies need to take for a true hybrid cloud solution. Outlined below are the key announcements from VMworld.
vSphere Platinum Edition
- This is a new edition of vSphere, adding in AppDefense to go along with all current capabilities in the Enterprise Plus license. Also included in this edition is a vCenter plug-in that tightly integrates AppDefense and vCenter Services for ease of administration and enhanced visibility for vSphere administrators.
vSphere 6.7 Update 1
- Fully featured HTML5 client
- Enhanced support for NVIDIA Quattro VMs
- vCenter Server Convergence Tool
- Enhanced content libraries
vSAN 6.7 Update 1
- Simplified operations and better support resolution
- Driver and firmware updates using VUM
- Better VROPS integration
- TRIM/UNMAP support
- Enhanced stretch cluster flexibility
VMware Cloud Foundation 3.0
- Now supports choice of any network switch for greater flexibility
- More vSAN ReadyNode partners
- Scalability improvements of up to 64 hosts per workload domain
- Improved and more responsive UX
- NSX Hybrid Connect to move workloads across clouds
- VMware Validated Design (VVD) support and guidance
- Global Availability – In addition to being included in VMware Premier Support Services contracts, Skyline is now available to Production Support customers.
- Skyline Advisor – Skyline Advisor provides a self-service portal for customers to access real-time dashboards, proactive recommendations from VMware’s library of knowledge, and suggested upgrades to prevent potential issues.
- Skyline Log Assist – Skyline Assist, available before the end of the year, automatically uploads desired log files to VMware Technical Support once an issue is identified to help resolve support requests more quickly.
- Additional Product Support – Support for VMware vSAN
NSX-T Datacenter 2.3
- Support for bare-metal hosts etends advanced multi-cloud networking and security capabilities to AWS, in addition to Microsoft Azure and on-premises environments
- Support for NSX-T Datacenter in VMC on AWS environments
- Simplified installation workflow
Virtualization on 64-bit ARM for Edge
VMware demonstrated ESXi on 64-bit ARM running on a windmill farm at the Edge. VMware sees an opportunity to work with selected embedded OEMs to scope and explore opportunities for focused, ARM-enabled offering at the edge.
VMware Cloud Operations Services
The initial availability of VMware Automation Services (formerly known as Project Tango) was announced to help tackle the challenge of managing and deploying workloads in multi-cloud environments. There is an excellent blog that was published on this page that delivers a high- level overview of the initial three components:
VMware Cloud Assembly: With Cloud Assembly, IT and cloud operations teams can orchestrate and expedite infrastructure and application delivery in line with DevOps principles, improving the overall developer experience, developers get an experience equivalent to provisioning resources from native public clouds.
VMware Service Broker: Service Broker provides simple, self-service access to multi-cloud infrastructure and application resources from a single catalog, without requiring disparate tools. With Service Broker, operations teams can more effectively govern resource access, and use and enforce security, deployment and business policies across multi-cloud environments.
VMware Code Stream: Code Stream automates the code and application release process with a comprehensive set of capabilities for application deployment, testing, and troubleshooting.
VMware Secure State (public beta) – This is a tool focused on cloud configuration security and compliance.
VMware acquires CloudHealth Technologies, a public cloud management platform
This is a key acquisition that will bolster VMware’s multi-cloud management capabilities as we enter a time when that concept becomes more and more of a core operating requirement in enterprises. This platform delivers benefits to VMware customers in terms of public cloud cost management, resource optimization, granular visibility and reporting.
This is a VMware technology preview that will extend the VMware Cloud to the data center, branch offices and the edge. Project Dimension will combine VMware Cloud Foundation, in a hyper-converged form factor, with VMware Cloud managed service to deliver an SDDC infrastructure as an end-to-end service, operated by VMware. Project Dimension will dramatically simplify operational complexity and cost and offers built-in security and isolation, allowing customers to focus on innovating and differentiating their businesses.
VMware Cloud on AWS
VMware Cloud on AWS is now available in five regions worldwide
• US West (Oregon)
• US East (N. Virginia)
• Europe (London)
• Europe (Frankfurt)
• Asia (Sydney)
Advanced NSX – Full integration with AWS Direct Connect, extension of micro-segmentation to individual VMs for follow-me security policies
• Amazon Elastic Block Storage (EBS) integration
• New minimum SDDC configuration – lowered to three nodes
• 50% lower cost of entry pricing – now get three hosts for the price of two
• Vendor license optimizations – new features for vendor license compliance
VMware Hybrid Cloud Extensions
Ability to seamlessly vMotion from on-premises to AWS via public internet, Amazon Direct Connect, or WAN.
As you can see by the announcements, public cloud is a big part of VMware’s future. Integrating with a hybrid cloud strategy that will include VMware on premise and AWS in the public cloud is their vision going forward. Customers that have invested in VMware, now have the option of moving workloads seamlessly between their onsite virtualized environment and a public cloud for both production and DR. This is the enhancement that many VMware customers have been looking for.
For more information, contact Champion Solutions Group by calling 800-771-7000 or visit www.championsg.com.