Upgrade to POWER9 Planning Checklist
IBM announced plans to withdraw lease, rental and maintenance services for all machine types, models and features listed below for POWER5, 6 and 7 (IBM i and AIX).
For customers with older generations of Power Systems, it is important to prepare for end of service on your current boxes.
• POWER5 end of service was on January 31, 2019 and POWER6 end of service is March 31, 2019
– These servers will be completely unsupported after these dates
• End of Service for POWER7 is September 30, 2019 and customers will be able to pay for extended support past that date.
Upgrading to POWER8 or POWER9 now will ensure that you continue to be covered for maintenance and can get replacement parts if they are ever needed. And it will eliminate the need to pay separately for maintenance, adding to the amount you are saving.
Use this checklist to ensure that your infrastructure strategy is aligned to your needs and avoids potential cost overruns or capability shortfalls.
1. Determine current and future capacity requirements. Bring your team together, assess your current application workload requirements and three-to-five year outlook. You’ll then have a good picture of when and where application growth will take place, enabling you to secure capacity at the appropriate time on an as-needed basis.
2. Assess operational efficiencies and identify opportunities to improve service levels while decreasing exposure to security and compliance issues/problems. With new technologies that allow you to easily adjust capacity, you will be in a much better position to lower costs, improve service levels, and increase efficiency.
3. Create a detailed inventory of servers across your entire IT infrastructure. It is highly likely that your organization has single-application/single-purpose or very under-utilized servers in the data center.
4. Test your HA/DR strategy and determine whether it meets all corporate and government regulations. Many clients only find out there’s a problem with their HA/ DR plan the hard way: after the fact. Be prepared to implement a system failover strategy when it counts.
5. Identify all dependencies for major database platforms, including Oracle, DB2, SAP HANA, and open-source databases like EnterpriseDB, MongoDB, neo4j, and Redis. You’re likely running major databases on the Power Systems platform; co-locating your current servers may be a way to reduce expenditure and increase flexibility.
6. Understand current and future data center environmental requirements. You may be unnecessarily overspending on power, cooling and space. Savings here will help your organization avoid costs associated with data center expansion.
7. Identify the requirements of your on and off-premise cloud strategy.. As you move to the cloud, ensure you have a strong strategy to determine which applications can be moved off-premises. Choose the core platform that offers the most choice, flexibility, and fastest route to the cloud at the lowest cost.
8. Prove how proposed investments align with moving to the cloud. Choose a platform that offers compelling cost advantages with built-in cloud capabilities, industry-leading performance and resiliency for mission-critical workloads.
9. Determine your future application requirements, especially around Big Data and Analytics. As more cognitive applications become available, ensure you have an infrastructure that can support them.
POWER9 provides the infrastructure foundation for a future-looking organization that is ready to meet today’s business challenges and tomorrow’s advancements. By updating your foundation with the latest POWER9-based servers, you can effectively run your mission-critical requirements alongside modern, data-intensive workloads. POWER9 gives you the reliability you’ve come to trust from IBM Power Systems, the security you need in today’s high-risk environment, and the innovation to propel your business into the future.
Benefits of POWER9 servers include
• Increased performance and value 1.5x performance improvement and 2x more memory vs. POWER8.1 1.8x more memory bandwidth per socket and up to 57% lower solution cost vs. x86.2, 3
• Industry-leading reliability IBM servers deliver the highest reliability in the industry for 10 years running — up to 18x more reliable than competitors.4
• Security for your mission critical data POWER9 servers are delivered secure with pre-loaded firmware and operating system security patches that mitigate known Meltdown and Spectre vulnerabilities in AIX, IBM i and Linux operating system environments.
• Enhanced cloud capabilities With PowerVM virtualization built in, you can now establish a secure and reliable private cloud as part of a multi-cloud strategy, providing the agility, cost effectiveness and simplified management needed to deliver business results.
• Future-forward AI capabilities POWER9 connects you to Watson, enabling you to take advantage of AI tools and capabilities like Watson Assistant, Watson Studio, natural language understanding, visual recognition, speech to text, and more.
Champion can assist with:
– IBM POWER Upgrades / Refresh
– VTL Disk-Based Backup
– Enhancing your IBM POWER Security
– 24×7 Monitoring for POWER
– Managed POWER Services
Contact Champion today to learn more about how Power Systems can accelerate insight, cut complexity and costs, and empower your organization to seize new opportunities faster. Call 800-771-7000 or email [email protected]sg.com.